Fall is finally here, and you know what that means? The weather is changing and so is your wardrobe! Whether you’re working from home or the office, dressing appropriately for your career is imperative. Seasonal changes can make getting dressed somewhat challenging and a little costly. Pour a cup of coffee and continue reading to learn How to Transition your Work Wardrobe from Summer to Fall (on a Budget) for both business professional and casual work environments.
Fall is such a transitional season. It may feel like fall in the morning, summer by lunch and like an autumn night as the sun begins to set. So how in the world do you dress for two different temperatures in one day? Layering! It’s time to pull out those cozy cardigans and opaque tights for that chilly morning commute.
Dresses are one of my favorites. They’re versatile, super easy and perfect for any type of weather. By simply adding the right pieces, this simple look can keep you feeling comfortable throughout any climate change.
- Layer a basic, fitted tee underneath your sleeveless, midi dress
- Pointed or round toe flats are comfy for running around the office
- Add a fun, statement necklace to bring the look together
- Layer a simple white button-down shirt underneath your sleeveless summer, midi dress
- Throw on your favorite block heels which are chic but work appropriate
- Add a gold or silver watch to always keep track of time in between meetings
The power suit is the best way to look well dressed effortlessly. Whether it’s a pantsuit or a skirt suit, you’ll always be work ready in a matter of seconds.
- Pair your blazer with dark washed denim jeans
- Layer a clean tee shirt or printed blouse underneath
- An appropriately sized hoop earring will add just the right touch
- Wear your entire suit with a solid or printed shell underneath
- A simple necklace is perfect for this look
- A pointed toe pump will bring this look together
Skirts can be tricky. It all depends on your height and body shape when deciding which style of skirt to wear to work. Some skirts may deemed inappropriate while others are considered just right. We use the fingertip test to determine if our skirt is appropriate for work. If you’re still having trouble deciding, just think, “knee length”.
- Rock your favorite pencil skirt with a simple sleeveless tee
- Pull out your favorite leather jacket to layer over top
- Throw on a bootie for some added height and flare
- A pencil skirt is also the ultimate work wear piece
- A simple shell or blouse can be worn tucked in
- A tailored blazer and a waist belt will bring this look together
Now that wasn’t that bad, was it? Transitioning your wardrobe into the next season should be fairly easy if you have all the right pieces. For those of you whose work attire is business casual, remember that “business” comes first. If you have to question your outfit, it’s probably not appropriate. For those business professionals, don’t be afraid to add some textures and colors. It’s okay to take a little bit of summer with you into the fall.
Look out for our next post where we’ll discuss fall 2017 trends and where you can find them on a budget!
Written + styled by:
Founder of SophisticatedChic Brand, LLC.