This post is sponsored by H&R Block. All opinions are my own.

There are certain dates that happen every year like clockwork that we should be able to plan for in advance such as Mother’s and Father’s Day, Birthdays and… Tax Day.

Tax Day is the deadline established by the IRS when your individual tax returns are due to the government for the tax year. Tax Day is typically April 15th unless it happens to fall on a Sunday or if the IRS chooses to extend it. If the deadline is approaching, you can file at an H&R Block location all the way up until the deadline.

If you should miss that deadline,  you can also file for an extension to avoid late filing or late payment penalties that would be assessed for filing after the deadline.

While an extension gives you extra time to file your return, it does not give you extra time to pay your taxes. Payments are still due by April 15, 2019, for the tax year 2018. Check out the H&R Block Calculator to estimate how much you may owe. But an extension can help reduce your penalties if you can’t afford to pay in full by the deadline.

Last year I decided to file an extension due to an aggressive travel schedule that took me out-of-state seemingly every week. I was also completing my first trimester and finalizing the publishing of my first book. Taxes were hardly on my mind and I had yet to locate a tax professional that I trusted.


This year I’ll also be filing another extension as my husband and I are adjusting to our new lives as parents and working parents at that.

You might want to consider filing an extension if:

  • You or someone in your family has experienced a medical hardship
  • You need more time to gather the documents necessary to file your return
  • You are looking for the right professional

While a familial hardship or incomplete documentation may require more time, you can eliminate reason number three, finding the right professional, by visiting your local H&R Block. They have a variety of filing options available and offer demonstrated expertise, helpful staff, and upfront pricing.

However, if you still need to file an extension you don’t need to hire a professional to do so. The fastest and easiest way to get the extra time you need is through the IRS website to use their free service to electronically request an automatic tax-filing extension.













Life happens and thankfully the IRS is relatively flexible when it comes to providing you with more time to file your tax return. While you may feel anxiety, remain calm and assess all of your options ahead of time so that you can make the decision to file for an extension ahead of time to avoid penalties.






You said:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Leave a Comment

Created by nationally recognized millennial money expert Tonya Rapley, My Fab Finance is a leading financial education and lifestyle blog for millennials who want to become financially free and do more of what they love.